Voyage around the world with Semester at Sea. 109 days abroad. 15 ports. 11 countries. Adventure of a lifetime.
Fall 2010 Itinerary

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada – Aug 27
Cadiz, Spain – Sept 4-8
Casablanca, Morocco – Sept 10-14
Takoradi, Ghana – Sept 22-25
Cape Town, South Africa – Oct 3-8
Port Louis, Mauritius – Oct 14-15
Chennai, India – Oct 22-27
Singapore – Oct 31-Nov 1
Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam – Nov 3-8
Hong Kong / Shanghai, China – Nov 11-16
Yokohama / Kobe, Japan – Nov 19-23
Honolulu / Hilo, Hawaii, USA – Dec 3-6
San Diego, California, USA – Dec 13

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

ESPANA!

Bull fight!

Hanging out in Plaza del Sol Madrid - I think I got lost shortly after this!

My new Spanish friends - the first of many!
Buenos dias from Espana! I have been Spain once before, (Barcelona for two days) but it was only a taste of this flavorful culture. This time I saw what it really means to sit through an entire bullfight - graceful matadors slowly but repeatedly stab and kill nine bulls while the crowd cheers. I tasted the world’s best Sangria accompanied with tapas while embracing the slower, more relaxed culture of Spain. It juxtaposed my summer experience in New York City where everyone is in such a hurry to go, go, go and it was a nice change of pace. I visited the capital city of Madrid, which blew me away with it’s beauty, hospitality, and energy. I was disappointed to find that we couldn’t enter the Real Madrid soccer stadium without paying a hefty price, but regardless the excitement and pride from Spain’s recent international victory in the world cup was still very tangible. El capital was a huge nightclub in the city that had seven levels of drinking, dancing, lounging, and socializing. In Spain the norm is to eat a late dinner around 10 or 11 pm, then go out to the bars between 12-1 and stay out till 4 or 5am in the morning. I adjusted pretty well to eating late since afternoon tapas and a daily siesta are part of the culture as well. During siesta all the stores and business close for a few hours. It is said that you can only find mad men, drunks, and dogs wandering around during siesta time from 2-4m, wonder which one I am qualified as? All of the above?



I visited two smaller towns called Seville and Cadiz (where the ship was docked) that were filled with historical sites and unbelievable beauty. I saw the gorgeous botanical gardens of both cities as well as their stunning cathedrals. The Seville Cathedral was enormous and its tower had an incredible view of the city. It’s pretty cool to think that I have now seen the five largest cathedrals in the world, this being the third largest. Cadiz has miles of killer beaches accompanied by a long bridge that leads to a stone fortress established to protect the city hundreds of years ago. I really fell in love with Cadiz when I went for a run along this coast and ran down to this stone bridge, praying I didn't trip and go flying over the cobblestones. The streets are lined with trees and the botanical gardens that offer incredible scenery alongside the ocean. As I ran across the bridge, there were several young local Spaniards who cheered me on as I ran. It was only a six mile run but to have them clapping and cheering it seemed as if I had completed a marathon (unlike Laura Reed who actually did!). Running is such a great way to see these cities; I hope to be able to do more of it at least once in every port.



What I really loved most about Spain were the people. Everywhere I went I spoke to the locals. Often times in my broken Spanish they would remind me, it’s okay, you can speak English. It also drove all my friends crazy that I wouldn't talk to them in English haha - Lo Siento I would babble in my el crap espanol! But, I loved embracing the language and I think the locals really appreciated the give and take associated with the communication. The highlight of my trip was in Madrid when I was separated from my group for an entire day. As I stopped to take a picture of an adorable Spanish child, his father wanted to chat. We go lost in conversation and I simultaneously lost my group. I didn’t mind though, and I got on the metro to try to meet them at the Prado. I had so much help with directions from locals that I couldn’t help but smile the entire time. On the metro, I met two Spaniards who offered to show me the way to the Prado. After finding it to be closed and my friends nowhere in sight, we enjoyed a beer together and I got to know them. My solo adventure continued when I they took me to a nearby museum that was open, and housed La Guernica! I couldn’t have been happier because Picasso’s masterpiece was the only painting I really wanted to see while in Spain. It was really a mind-blowing piece and other great works of Picasso and Dali accompanied it. When I parted from my Spanish guides who helped me through Madrid, I went back to the hostel to find a note from my friends explaining which train they were getting on to Seville. Although I was thrilled with how the day turned out I was also sad to leave my hostel hostess. She was an older woman who was so mean and bossy that I couldn’t help but love her. She had a fondness for me and every time she wanted to talk to us, she would communicate with me, always thinking that I knew more Spanish that I actually do. Before saying farewell we shared a slice of watermelon together. Engaging with the locals was what really made Spain incredible for me. Whether it was losing my friends in the street or in a bar it was always because I was too busy talking to chatty locals. I hope that I can have such a great connection with the people in every country. I think it is truly PEOPLE that are my greatest passion. For me, this adventure isn’t about buildings, or animals, or food (although food is up there), it is about people and what I can learn from all those around the world. As I get further and further away from what I am used to, I hope to learn so much about how life can be so different but humanity is the same everywhere. KISSES from Spain (on each cheek of course!), Morocco details to follow very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment